Monday, September 15, 2008

Acts

I've been reading through the book of Acts. I figured that's it a good thing to be doing seeing as how we're trying to start a church here in Durham. It's amazing to me the way things were happening in the early church. Entire paradigms were being shifted. There is the shift from Old covenant to New, the extension of God's grace from the Jewish people to include even Gentiles. There's the shift in dietary rules, the movement of the Holy Spirit, a well known terrorist becoming one of the apostles. Wow. Why do we tend to think that all the cool stuff happened way back then? I mean seriously - is God still moving and active or isn't He? Didn't Jesus say that the gates of hell would not be able to hold back the church? Didn't Jesus say that we would do even greater things that He did? It sure doesn't feel like it most of the time does it? I want to believe that Jesus meant those things. I want to believe that its possible for a church to exist that is literally transforming the culture around it through the power of the gospel.

Along with Acts, I've been reading Shane Claiborne's Irresistible Revolution. You need to read it. I'm warning you though. Don't read it unless you are willing to have some of your foundations rocked. You won't be able to read it and continue on with life as usual - let's put it that way. I'll give a more full review of it in a couple of days. I'm still digesting and wrestling with it. The cool thing is that Shane will be in Durham in January to speak at Duke's chapel. So I'm looking forward to that.

It's been interesting to read about the early church, and then read one person's perspective on where we've gone wrong between then and now. Shane is living out the kingdom like no one else I've heard of and there is such power in it. It's the kind of power that makes you really believe the things Jesus said.

3 comments:

Jeremy, after my wife and I read Claiborne's book, it literally made us rethink our faith. It was a pivotal book in our lives. Recently we got to see Shane in Raleigh on his Jesus for President tour. He is truly what he says he is, a radical, among other things. He reminded me of the real danger of trying to live like Jesus. Thank God for Shane and so many others who really put themselves out there for a change in Christianity as normal.

I'd go with you to hear him. You want to grab some lunch tomorrow? Or meet up for non-coffee? RRR... the 16th?

Just stumbled upon your blog and liked your post.
I've read the book and it certainly changed the way I think about many things. That's pretty awesome that he's going to be at Duke, I'll have to check him out.
--Nick

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More