Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The blog that wasn't...

Yesterday I posted a blog, that I then immediately deleted. Here's why - it wasn't anything controversial really, I wasn't calling anyone out, and I wasn't going on a theological rant or anything like that. Actually, it was quite the opposite - it was a short video from the Office, previewing this week's episode. This week Pam and Jim are having their baby, and there was a funny scene where Jim is freaking out. I resonated with his emotions - as my wife is probably going to have a baby in the next two weeks. Of course, in the middle of this clip was some pretty typical Office humor, which by the way I laughed at.

However, the reason for deleting it was not out of a legalism that this was somehow bad or evil (in fact I posted the link above), but that it suddenly occurred to me that not everyone finds that funny. In fact, to some people it may have even been offensive. And as a leader of an organization, a pastor of a church, I suddenly felt the weight of that.

Now, the specifics of the Office aside, I find myself today wrestling with the bigger issue here. How do wisdom and authenticity interact and relate, particularly for a leader? I long to be inwardly exactly who I am outwardly. But here's the deal - as a pastor and a leader I don't simply represent myself. I know of other leaders who have said things publicly that made things difficult for their organization and/or the people associated with it. My guess is that those leaders would probably have guarded their words a little more if they had it to do over again. And particularly with the internet, once it's out there, it's out there forever.

I'm a pretty big fan of the book of Proverbs in the Bible. All throughout this ancient text are warnings about controlling your tongue, holding back, guarding your words. Here are a few:

He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. - 13:3

Every prudent man acts out of knowledge, but a fool exposes his folly. - 13:16

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity. - 21:23


Where do you come down on this? Do you "just be you" and let the chips fall where they may in the name of authenticity, or is there a responsibility that rests upon a leader to show a little prudence? Is it being inauthentic to filter yourself, or is it wisdom?

2 comments:

Can Kimi come to CA to have her baby?

It may be as funny as the Office.

Just saying...

-Stef

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More