Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What's a bomb?

I was listening the other day to my daughter play with another friend. They were pretending all kinds of things. I don't really know the context of how it came up, but the other kid wanted to pretend that a bomb fell and things were blowing up. It was at this point that my daughter dropped the bomb of a question and asked "What's a bomb?"

Can you imagine a world where you didn't know what a bomb was? What if there was peace - real peace all over the world? Many will say that day won't ever come until Jesus returns. That may be true, but shouldn't we long for and work toward that day anyway? Think about the innocence of that question that Hannah asked. She has no understanding of a weapon that is made to wipe out hundreds or thousands of lives at one time. She doesn't understand something like war. I wonder if kids in other parts of the world ask that question. I wonder if their worlds are so safe and so innocent that the idea of a bomb is totally foreign to them. Don't they deserve that kind of innocence? Shouldn't we long for and work toward that as well?

Remember that time that Jesus said "Love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you"? I wonder if He meant that.

1 comments:

I can't imagine what that would feel like.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More