Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Who's your Vivian?

Back in Yucaipa I had an amazing administrative assistant. It was one of the coolest things about my job there. I got to focus completely on ministry - while my assistant did all the really hard work of planning events, taking care of details, payments, transportation, promotion, etc. I knew I had it good, but it became incredibly clear this morning just how good things were.

One of the cool things about Story Church and the group that is beginning to form, is that there is a real heart for putting into practice the kingdom of God and the things we discuss. So in light of that I planned for us to volunteer at the Durham Rescue Mission for their Christmas community event. I went down to the mission, met with the volunteer coordinator, signed up to volunteer, got my packet in the mail with all my instructions and name badges and all of that. We were ready to go. Just one problem - I forgot to mention anything to my group. I also failed to put it on my own calendar. So this morning at 9am I suddenly remembered that at that very moment Story Church and I were supposed to be checking in as volunteers at the Rescue Mission. Needless to say - we didn't make it. So the first public project for us as a church bombed because I suck at administration. VIVIAN, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!

So today I will call and talk to Vivian and tell her how much I miss her. Who plays a role in your life that gets under-appreciated?

3 comments:

Oh Jeremy, I love you and your sweet family. Once again, It's a gift that God has given to me and I love this gift more than anyone will know. I don't always look so organized on the outside but my God given brain keeps it all in order. Keep it up, your wonderful passion and love for our Loving Lord. I miss you all so much, you are in my prayers. Viv

I would give anything to have a Vivian or a Bonnie, that's who I had when we where in SC. She was a youth volunteer but told me when I was hired that she would do all that admin stuff so I could focus on ministry. I miss her help greatly. So Jeremy... you want to be my admin assistant?

So through all those years of choir tour, when you had no clue what was going on, and we told you that you needed to get with the program - we were right. If you would only heed our words...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More