Thursday, July 15, 2010

Radical Generosity - Part 2

There's a lesson I learned several years ago that was game changing for how I think about my finances. That is this: I'm a manager, not an owner. Everything I have belongs to God. Everything. My money, my house, my car, and all of my stuff. It's all His.


Luke 16:12 says "If you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own?"

Psalm 24:1 says "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it."

Imagine what it would be like if you and I lived as if this were true. We would spend money differently. We would treat stuff differently.

And if we are serious about having a radical impact on those around us, then suddenly radical generosity becomes much easier. After all, it's not ours. It belongs to God. So giving it away, using it to bless someone else, sharing out of my excess with those that have none - all of this begins to make perfect sense.

Live as though you were the manager of what you have, rather than the owner. My guess is that your grip on "your" money and "your" stuff will start to loosen, and those around you will begin to feel blessed. And I wouldn't be surprised if God lets you manage even more.

1 comments:

Very nice post. Now how do we structure society so that it is based on achieving happiness and fulfillment? It seems that the current monetary system offers a choice of drudgery or pain.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More