Thursday, May 6, 2010

Reading

For the last 30 days I've been attempting to follow a 90 day reading plan that will have me reading the entire Bible in those 90 days. It's been crazy. As of today, I am completely on pace - but I've been playing some serious catch up over the last couple of weeks. The thing is, the plan has me reading about 10-11 pages a day (roughly 15 chapters). So when you miss a day, or two, or three you suddenly find yourself 40 chapters behind.


Anyway, here are a couple of things I've been learning.

#1 - Scripture is amazing. I mean the whole story is just amazing. And I think when we read it in bite sized pieces we lose out on that fact. Reading huge chunks at a time has helped me to really appreciate the story.

#2 - There's a definite story line. God is clearly seeking a relationship with his people and they keep messing it up. And yet he keeps pursuing them, and they keep messing it up, and he keeps pursuing.

#3 - I don't know squat about the Bible. I mean I was a bible major in college. I've been a pastor for 10 years now, regularly teaching the Scriptures. And yet there is so much here that I feel like I know almost nothing.

#4 - God's mercy never ends.

#5 - The default setting on man is to seek after a story about himself.

#6 - Living in pre-Jesus times sucks. Seriously, the law is so frustrating. It's so detailed, so all encompassing that it's literally impossible to keep it. I suppose that's the point.

#7 - Seven is a better number than six, so I had to add one more.

6 comments:

Wondering about #5... is this a good thing, something we accept and admonish or is it a bad thing, something selfish and to be turned from?

Yeah, I think it's something we have to be aware of and fight against. In reading huge chunks of Scripture like this though it just became really obvious to me that despite the amazing ways that God shows up and interacts with his people, they keep slipping into a self-centered world.

Word, I catch what you're saying. Just didn't know how to read that at first... You're right, we love to be the center of the Bible, and the reason for everything - oh how foolish!
Good to hear of Pastors in and enjoying the Scriptures, keep it up Jeremy.

I start a "Bible in 90 Days" reading plan on June 1st!

Good luck with this venture! My local church here in Baton Rouge, Healing Place, is currently on a series about commitment, and I'm sure that 15 chapters a day is a major commitment, but one so imperative to ministry and understanding that ministry!

We're moving to NC in the beginning of June... Looking forward to checking out your church.

JM

Jillien - thanks for leaving a comment! I'm really looking forward to meeting you! Pastor Dino is one of my heroes. I was just at Healing Place a couple of weeks ago for the All Access conference.

I volunteered at the conference. All of the speakers/pastors were so amazing!! I hope you enjoyed your stay in Baton Rouge. I know that all of us were thrilled to have such wonderful guests!

JM

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More