Monday, March 15, 2010

Isaiah James


Today my son entered the world, but it wasn't an easy ride. At 8 lbs. and 10 oz. he's a big little guy. We had praying and planning all week to get through the weekend, past my wife's baby shower on Saturday, and past church on Sunday morning. So when Kimi began having contractions Sunday afternoon, all I can say is the timing couldn't have been more perfect. After a couple of hours at the house, we decided to head into the hospital. Once we got checked in and Kimi got checked out, we realized that her contractions were between two and three minutes apart. It seemed that this baby wasn't going to wait long. But once Kimi got hydrated a bit things slowed down and we settled in for a long night. All together it took about 12 hours, and at 7:05am Isaiah was born. However, like I said before, he didn't come easily.

As it turned out, his shoulders were too wide, and with the combination of the cord around his neck, things got really scary there for a few minutes. He seemed to be stuck. I'm pretty sure we witnessed the closest a doctor gets to being panicked. By the time Isaiah was finally born, around a dozen doctors and nurses were in the room and busily working on both mom and baby. It was close to two minutes before Isaiah made even a single sound. He was silent, and from our perspective lifeless. Kimi and I knew that things weren't going well. It was a very scary moment. I don't know if you've ever been in one of those moments of total helplessness but it was tough. I began praying out loud for Jesus to breathe life into him, and for him to cry, to do anything. And then it happened - we heard his little cry. At that moment I felt like I began to breathe too. We knew that he would be ok.

The doctors continued to work on him for a good 15-20 minutes until his color normalized and he began to respond the way he should. In the end, he didn't even need to go to NICU and was able to just stay with us.

I am so thankful to the many that were praying for us. I believe that today your prayers literally saved Isaiah's life. Every birth is a miracle, and the gift of life is the most mysterious awe inspiring thing I've ever experienced. But today was a miracle of a different kind and I will never forget the gift we received today.

Now, off to teach this little guy how to throw a curveball.

2 comments:

That was scary!! Praise God he's OK. Does broad shoulders make for good baseball?

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More