Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spend Less. Give More.



As a church we are celebrating advent by participating in the Advent Conspiracy. It's a movement of Christians that have decided that the consumerism that comes with Christmas isn't the best way to celebrate the birth of Christ. But it's more of a movement for something, rather than a movement against something. It's not a movement that is worried about whether you say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". It's not a movement about Jesus vs. Santa. It's a movement that is encouraging people to give more of themselves at Christmas. The idea is to give more relational gifts, that maybe cost less in dollars, but more in time. It's about spending time together, creating memories and traditions. Many of us are making homemade gifts this year. Some are simply choosing to spend less on things we don't really need and instead to do something together as a family. In the end, we will be giving the money that we would normally spend on needless gifts to people who truly have needs. Locally, we'll be coming alongside a school and providing for families that really have needs. We are volunteering our time to help in classrooms. And globally, we'll be helping to build clean water wells that will literally save lives and rescue people from disease.

To learn more about the movement check out www.adventconspiracy.org.

For creative gift ideas this Christmas check out www.rethinkingchristmas.com.

2 comments:

hi! I'm spanish and I don't speak English very weel but I wanted to post your video, It liked to me a lot!!!
Is what I try to transmet to everybody around me everyyear and anyone listen me... tranks :)
It's like the John Lenon song: IMAGINE: "you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope some day you join us...

I hope that lots of people can see this video and think about is

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! o FELIZ NAVIDAD!!!!!

What's up dude. Came across your church's website and am excited about your work in Durham.

I have much affinity to what you're doing and the language your using.

May God work through you in a mighty way for the sake of love and justice.

Charles
storylinecommunity.com

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More